Monday, April 5, 2010

Noe Plaza Opponents Have Dufty on Their Side

It looks like Noe Valleys elected representative, Supervisor Bevan Dufty, is poised to quash the nascent pedestrian plaza in Noe Valley. There will be a community meeting on Thursday evening for neighbors to learn more and discuss the project but Dufty, as quoted in today's Examiner, sounds like he's already made up his mind:
I’m not closing the door forever. I’m just saying that at this stage I sense enough division and opposition that I don’t even feel that it can work on even a trial basis. The notion isn’t to create conflict, it’s to create more public spaces.
If you live in the neighborhood and care about public space there, you may want to send Dufty an email. Please also make sure to attend the meeting at 6:30pm on Thursday. It's been added to the calendar in the sidebar.

Please note that the dead-tree version of today's Ex contains an important error. There is no plan to close 24th Street. The proposed plaza would close a small section of Noe Street, just South of 24th. The online edition has since been corrected.

4 comments:

Pantograph Trolleypole said...

If he gives up this easily on the Plaza, imagine how easily he'll give up with more pressure as mayor.

Pedestrianist said...

He's not my Supe, but I don't have a lot of respect for him because he's developed a pretty well-deserved (IMHO) reputation throughout his career in office for doing just this.

Good luck tonight!

Jim Ausman said...

I would really like to see some leadership here from Beven on this issue.

Pedestrianist said...

You're not the only one, Jim. Unfortunately I think It's too late. I wouldn't put money on either of these project alternatives getting built after the pitiful spectacle opponents put on.